Engineering Lead (Fullstack) - Up to £130,000 /€150,000
United Kingdom/ Netherlands
(Hybrid & Remote Options)
We're Collective Benefits - Insurance, wellbeing and savings for flexible workers
Right now, the people who care for our families, pack our produce and deliver our parcels face a fragile financial existence. And that’s not right. We believe they deserve to live and work without compromise. So we’re doing something about it.
At Collective, we’re enabling companies with the right intentions to provide the right protections. Working directly with the on demand platforms propelling our economy forward. Helping them ramp up recruitment and retention, increase engagement and protect their people. All at the same time. Together, we’re making independent work, work for everyone.
We’ve got backing from the people behind Deliveroo, Zoopla and Cazoo, some of the most prestigious and well known VCs in the world:
Voted as a top 20 Start-up to work for in 2022, we are rapidly scaling our platform globally to protect millions of independent workers, providing them with the benefits they need & deserve. We recently won technology innovation of the year and best use of technology for customer experience…
A brief overview of the role
As an Engineering Lead at Collective Benefits, you will build exciting new products for Collective users; monitor, test, and continuously optimise our systems; and deliver testable, maintainable, and high-quality code. You'll work closely with our lead engineers to evolve and enhance our engineering practices, with a particular focus on our build-test-release cycle to ensure seamless continuous delivery of new product features.
This is an opportunity to contribute to building a business and platform on the ground floor and to make technical decisions. So if you have relentless ambition, an abundance of passion, and supreme technical skills, we’d love to chat with you.
What will you do?
- Take broad and ambiguous problems and turn them into delightful products.
- Develop new, scalable features spanning both the frontend and backend.
- Build reusable components/services for future use.
- Investigate, resolve and mitigate service-impacting events as part of an operations on-call rotation.
- Partner with product, engineering, and design to oversee the development of a product from problem definition, conception to launch (and then some).
Three reasons this role is great
- You’ll work as part of our close-knit Engineering and Product teams to help craft the best possible experience for Collective users.
- If you’re looking to make a mark in your career and take ownership in a highly driven team - this is the opportunity for you. We have big ambitions for growth, move at a fast pace, and you’ll work autonomously with the close support of startup founders and senior managers who have done this before.
- You’ll make a difference - we’re building a business that will provide the protections that gig workers badly need.
You should join us if:
- Ideally, you are experienced in React and Node; we are happy to up-skill in these areas of they are not exactly your bread and butter.
- You care about software architecture across the front-end and back-end, and the APIs that glue them together. You have proven experience working in a cloud environment; ideally AWS.
- You have good knowledge/ hands-on experience with infrastructure-as-code tools e.g. Terraform.
- You understand that good engineering is not about trends but is built on top of principles and tradeoffs.
- You have empathy for customer needs but can also consider technical constraints and business goals.
- You value collaboration and are at your best when you’re part of a team.
- You are flexible; we’re a young startup and you’ll be building lots of fun things, proof of concepts, MVPs, as well as core regulated systems.
The nuts and bolts:
- You must be comfortable with a fast-moving pace of work, and getting involved in a range of tasks and projects relating to your role
- Smart, inquisitive, and have a willingness to sink your teeth into the role
- Knowledge of (or a keen interest in) the future of work is a significant plus
What will you get in return?
- 💰Competitive Salary - £130,000 /€150,000
- 💸Employee Equity Options and Pension Contributions
- 🎂Birthday day off, because no-one should have to work on their birthday
- 🌳 Personal development budget, to help you grow
- 💻 Shiny new laptop
- 🩺 24/7 GP, Mental Health Support & Gympass
- 🚲 Cycle to Work and 🎧Tech Scheme saving you money and spreading the cost
- 🎉 Deals & Discounts at major retailers, gyms and more
Must be based in the UK or Netherlands to be considered.
If interested apply now for immediate consideration or email Luana Pinto at firstname.lastname@example.org